In Brief:” A job interview may be the most important meeting that you have in your life. Therefore, it is essential that you look into all the aspects of the meeting before you proceed to your job interview. There are several aspects to the interview even after the physical interview is over.
These aspects include sending a ‘thank you’ message (i.e. email or letter) to the interviewer after the job interview. Make sure that you keep in mind these aspects before you complete the interview process .
The general follow-up thank you letter after interview or thank you email is aimed at better demonstrating your interest in the job position. This article reviews the benefits of sending the thank you email and offers examples.”
It is only cordial for you to send a thank you letter or email once the interview is over.
Reasons to send the Thank You letter after a job interview
The thank you letter or email is a very important piece of conversation that is conducted by the interviewee with the interviewer.
This ‘thank you email message after the interview’ is an important after-effect that should be used to better enhance your interaction during your job interview.
A thank you letter works wonders in broadcasting your professionalism, and more importantly, your networking skills, to the interviewer.
In fact, a thank you letter is a way of maintaining interaction with the interviewer even after your interview is over. Here are the main reasons for the question “should you send a post interview thank you letter?”
1. Your professional attitude: The thank you letter not only adds some authenticity to your sincerity about being hired by the company, but it also serves as a mirror to your professional attitude. In fact, a carefully written thank you letter can actually act as a defining and deciding factor when almost everyone is at the same level vis-à-vis qualification and expertise required for the said job.
2. A communication tool: The thank you letter is not only useful for interacting with the interviewer; it is also a good tool to use for professional networking. Any piece of communication is a good way of putting forth your aptitude, attitude and thoughts as a professional. If you make a mark with the thank you letter, there are chances that the interviewer will remember you, and who knows whether the interviewer knows others who are looking out for the same professional!
3. Providing further information: It is the best piece of conversation with which the interviewee can provide further information or elaborate on information already provided to the interviewer. Therefore, the candidate can either use the thank you letter as a means of underlining his/her inclination towards the job, or giving some more information about him/her, or even using the communication as damage control.
4. Send to the important people: This letter should be sent to the important people whom you have met in the company, or at least the individuals involved in the hiring process.
5. Time to send: You should ensure that the thank you letter reaches the people whom you have met during the course of the interview within a minimum of twenty-four hours and a maximum of forty-eight hours from the time that they attended the interview.
Therefore, make sure that your thank you email of letter note is a cordial note that keeps a vista open for communication between the company and you.
However, some thank you email messages or letters may even serve as damage control. when the original interview has gone sour or left much to be desired on both sides of the interviewing table.
These are some of the aspects of a thank you letter. There are several other aspects depending on the company to which you applied or even on the post for which you applied.
The following is a sample thank you letter and email after a job interview that you may rewrite/edit according to your needs.
(Click here to view two more great examples.)
Sample thank you letter after job interview
There are several kinds of interview thank you letters that you can write.
Here is a sample general interview letter:
“Company name” Ltd.
I would like to thank you for the Job interview and the time we spent speaking about the job position in your organization yesterday.
I hope this small interaction may later translate into a fruitful professional relationship.
Please find enclosed a list of references that you requested. I look forward to hearing from you regarding your hiring decision.
[2 suggested sentences to include – And please edit according to your needs:
1. I trust you recognized my interest in the “job title”.
2. I look forward to being part of the R D team and am confident that I will be able to be a highly efficient team player for making a positive contribution to the team’s goals.
(You may also consider including one of your resume objectives in the thank you letter.
In any case, boasting about your skills and experience in the thank you email/letter is not recommended.)
Again, thank you for your time, consideration and for all your efforts to arrange the interview.
Example of Thank You Email after a Job Interview
This is in regards to the job interview yesterday. I have applied for the post of a ‘The Job Position’ with your company.
Take my sincere appreciation for this job opportunity you gave me. I am very interested in this opportunity.
As you requested, I am enclosing “some more related documents”.
I hope they are received by you in a positive light.
3rd Example of Thank You letter after an Interview
I would like to thank you for taking the time to meet with me regarding the [position].
I want to express my interest in the job and believe that my work skills and the job requirements are a good match.
My references would be happy to tell you more about my experience and skills as a worker.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
You may be interested in reading these articles: