When you are looking for a job, there are number of interactions that you have to carry out in an effort to prove to the employers that you are seriously interested in the said job, as well as to maintain minimal communication with the company prior to the first job interview.
Once you have sent the resume, it is necessary that the employer pursue it, simply because there are several candidates who must have sent their resume, and your resume has to stand out so that the prospective employer (and the interviewer) takes a second look at it.
This article discusses the importance of following up after sending resumes and provides resume thank you letter samples (follow-up letters after sending resume).
Job application: Following up on a job application with an email
Waiting for the employer to contact you after submitting your resume can be frustrating. Sometimes it takes more than a week. At this point in time, you will not know whether you were selected to the first job interview, if you don’t make the second move.
Don’t hesitate to contact the company to ensure that they at least read your resume.
You have to choose between one (or two) of the following two actions:
- Contact the company using a follow-up letter after sending your resume (i.e. resume thank you letter ).
- Calling the company.
Two basic reasons to send the follow up letter after resume submission
Reasons to consider:
- If the employer has not read your resume as yet, he may take an interest upon seeing your resume thank you letter.
- If he has seen you resume application and hasn’t made his decision yet, the resume thank you letter might just make him take a better look at your resume.
If you consider a follow-up letter after sending a resume to ensure that the employer takes your application into consideration, be sure to perform this delicate issue in the right manner.
Follow up letter after sending resumes: Thank You Letter Tips
The task of sending a thank you letter after submitting a resume should not be carried out immediately.
One should wait for at least 5 working days before he or she initiates another interaction with the prospective employer. This is simply because the employer and the interviewer may be too busy to actually read resumes to decide on the second stage – The job interviews.
Another reason for having a waiting period is simply because you don’t want to seem too eager to interact with the employer.
The following are some points to consider when writing the letter:
- Your details: Write your full name, the position you’ve applied for and the date that you’ve sent your resume.
- Send a short letter: Make sure that your resume thank you letter is not confusing – it should put your points across in the least possible amount of words.
- Attach the resume: Make it simple for him/her to get to the point.
- Briefly repeat your skills: Along with this, the resume thank you letter may briefly provide a quick overview of your experience and qualifications, so that the employer can go through them once again and judge whether your actually fit the position.
- Thanks for consideration: The resume follow-up letter should basically offer a ‘thank you for reviewing my resume’ and should be in that tone.
- Show an interest: The follow up letter should be concise and should basically thank the company for giving you the chance to work for them.
- You could also insert a phrase that tells the employer ‘thank you for forwarding my resume’, if you know that the one who receives the email is the “middle man ”.
Resume Thank You Letter Samples
Here is a sample of the Resume Thank You Letters, please edit according to your needs:
[The HR Manager],
[Department, Company Name],
Re: My Application for the [Job Title, Position Number]
Dear [enter name of the hiring manager],
This is in reference to the job opening posted by your company [where].
I hope that you have received my resume for the same on [resume submittal date].
I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to apply for this position and believe that the job requirements and my skills may be a good match.
As mentioned in my resume, I have extensive experience in sales, with more than ten years of [experience in ABC]. I have PhD in [xx] and graduated from [university] in [year] .
Currently, I am employed as the [Sales and Marketing position] in [your company].
For your convenience, please find herewith my resume.
Thank you for considering my application.
I look forward to speaking with you soon about this employment opportunity,
2nd sample of thank you letter for resume submittal:
I sent a resume 10 days ago applying for the [job title] as per the job opening on the [job board].
I find that my experience and skills may be perfect for this position.
To further reiterate my point, I graduated from the [University of Yale], with an MBA degree.
I have been working for the past eight years in the field of [Internet Marketing] holding very similar responsibilities to the [said job] requirements.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to apply for this job and for your convenience, please find attached my resume.